So yesterday I mentioned that Richard, my Virginia date, had made me cookies. This got a brief note in the post because of the whole shooting range experience, but darn it if these cookies that I wanted to pledge myself to were not going to be brought up again.
After my date with Richard (part two of which is coming up Monday), he sent me the following message:
I had a wonderful time this evening. Thanks for inviting me out and being such a great sport with the shooting. I have included the recipe for the cookies I made you. I know you wanted to marry it and I see no reason to keep you crazy kids apart.
Now, for your eating pleasure, the magically delicious recipe that had me sucking on every crumb, salivating at the mention of the word orange-pecan, and wondering if one could make granola/salad-dressing/milkshakes or anything else I might want to eat out of said cookies. Seriously, these puppies melt in your mouth when you make them right.
And they are gluten free.
Orange Pecan Cookies
2 cups of chopped pecans
2/3 cup of sugar
2 egg whites
2 teaspoons orange extract
2 teaspoons orange zest
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
2. Grind the pecans in a food processor until they are clumping together from their own oil. If you aren’t sure if this is happening, it’s probably not so keep processing.
3. In a large bowl mix the pecans, sugar, orange extract and orange zest.
4.Beat the two egg whites until stiff. Fold them into the pecan mixture.
5. Form the dough into roughly 1.5″ flattened rounds on a baking sheet. (Richard uses a hexagonal tiling pattern). Note: These increase in size much less than other cookies during baking.
6. Bake for 9 minutes (chewy) to 15 minutes (quite crunchy).
7. Send to Alicia. I mean, enjoy.